PoMoArts is now accepting proposals for the 2021 Kwi Am Choi Exhibition Scholarship for emerging artists.
Established in 2007, the Kwi Am Choi Exhibition Scholarship is an annual award of $2,000 that recognizes an emerging BC artist between the ages of 18 and 32, and is designed to fund the costs of mounting a solo exhibition of their work at the Port Moody Arts Centre. This initiative provides students currently enrolled in, or recent graduates of, Fine Arts programs at recognized post-secondary institutions in Canada with the opportunity to display their work in a publicly funded gallery, receive curatorial mentorship, and network with other artists and art professionals. Proposals will be evaluated by a jury of art professionals in a blind jurying process.
About the Kwi Am Choi Scholarship Fund
The Kwi Am Choi Scholarship Fund was endowed by the family of internationally acclaimed artist Kwi Am Choi in 2007. Born in South Korea, Choi lived and worked in Port Moody, where he was an active member of the local arts community and a mentor to young artists. After graduating from the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD), Choi became known for his experimental and abstract work. In the spirit of both his experimental practice and artistic mentorship, the Kwi Am Choi endowment fund was established to provide support to emerging artists by covering the costs of mounting a solo exhibition at the Port Moody Arts Centre as an integral component of expanding their artistic careers.
• Between 18 and 32 years of age
• Enrolled in a Fine Arts program in a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution, or a recent graduate of a Fine Arts program from a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution. (within 2 years of graduation date)
• Considered an emerging artist. We define emerging artists as those artists in the first few years of their professional development and not currently making their entire living from their artwork
• A current resident of British Columbia
• Only artists proposing a solo exhibition are eligible for this award.
Note: Current PoMoArts staff, instructors, sitting board members or their immediate family are not eligible to apply.
Use of Scholarship Funds
Scholarship funds are to be applied to the artist’s costs of mounting a solo exhibition to take place sometime between June and August 2021 at PoMoArts. These costs may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Materials and preparation expenses to create new artwork for the exhibition.
• Transportation costs for artwork
• Artwork installation expenses
• Advertising and marketing costs for an exhibition
• Opening reception, and related administrative costs
HOW TO APPLY:
To view the application guidelines and submit an online application visit pomoarts.ca/scholarships-residencies
Application Deadline: November 15, 2020
If you have any questions about this exhibition scholarship opportunity, please email Janice Cotter, Gallery Manager at email@example.com.
PoMoArts is an equal opportunity provider. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or (dis)ability.
Contact Name: Janice Cotter
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: (604) 931-2008